Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tribute to my beloved father-in-law

The first time I met my father-in-law was about 15-16 years ago. He had short, curly hair, with a cute and round belly. He would not speak readily, but when he does say something, he would be rather humorous. He would give names to people, like how he used to say I looked very much like Sharon Ow, a Mediacorp TV host.
 
In April 2001, he suffered a major stroke that left him half-paralysed and since then, he could not speak.  Just a month earlier in March 2001, Pastor Ng visited Jimmy's home in Tampines one evening, and my father-in-law surprised everyone when he finally accepted Christ into his heart.

Over the last 13 years, I witnessed with my own eyes how gradually he had weakened and lost so much weight to become skin-to-bone. My father-in-law likes food and knows how to cook. Although I never got to try it, but my husband and some relative remembered that his fried rice was very delicious.
 
He also love to see Deborah and David singing songs to him. He would laugh sheepishly when the kids were too adorable during their performances in front of him.
 
Just before he left us on 6 Jan 2013 at 10.10pm, we brought Deborah and David to the hospital to visit him around 8pm. I am so thankful to God that we visited him that evening with the kids before he was taken from us. At the hospital, Deborah and David were stroking his forehead gently and showing him their love.
 
We are glad that our good Lord has taken him to a better place, free from sickness and suffering. It has been a difficult time last week to come to terms that he is not with us now. But he will always be remembered by everyone in the family for being a loving father and grandfather. Although our time together on earth has not been too long, we look forward to being with him in eternity some day.
 
 
 
An anthem rendered by his seven grandchildren during the Memorial Service on 9 Jan 2014.
 
 
My sister-in-law shared that my father-in-law told her many years back, before he became a Christian, that it is such a beautiful thing to be surrounded by many flowers when a person is laid to rest, liken to lying in a garden. And we are glad we could fulfil this wish of his, with many thanks to all our friends and relatives who sent their condolence wreaths. and in other kinds.
 
 
 
Resting in peace.
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment